Joshua – Living As A Consistent Role Model
Lesson 1: "Basic Training" II Timothy 2:1-4
"…the Lord is with us; Do not fear them." Numbers 14:9
- Abraham – A Land, a Seed, a Blessing (Gen. 12:1-3)
- Abraham’s two grandsons, Esau and Jacob
- Jacob’s son, Joseph, became a great man
- After Joseph, Hebrews eventually became enslaved in Egypt
- Joshua, born in Egypt, firstborn of Nun (I Chron. 7:27)
- Survived the Passover
- Witnessed the other Plagues, and the miracle at the Red Sea
- Joshua soon began a long and close relationship with Moses (Num. 11:28)
- Imagine having Moses as a mentor! (Deut. 34:10)
- First military experience against Amaleks at Rephidim (Exod. 17:8-16)
- Victory came with God’s supernatural intervention
- Mountaintop Experience (Exod. 24:12-15)
- The Glory of the Lord (Exod. 33:9-11)
- At this point, Joshua had no idea he would lead the nation of Israel!
- Surveillance Mission (Numbers 13 & 14)
- Only Joshua and Caleb were faithful, opposing an entire nation
- The people tried to stone Joshua and Caleb
- A "Medal of Honor", Hoshea ® Joshua (Num. 13:8,16)
- Salvation ® The Lord is Salvation
#1) It takes time to become prepared to be a faithful leader of others.
#2) There is a unique balance between dependence on God and confidence in ourselves.
#3) We must begin to serve God now in order to be prepared for future responsibility.
For next week, read Joshua Ch. 1